Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

ORIANA

Built 1960
Length 804 ft. (245.6 m)
Beam 97.1 ft. (29.7 m)
Tonnage 41,915grt
Service Speed 27.5 knots
Engines: Six Pametrada geared turbines, turning two propellers
Passengers 2180
Crew 900
ORIANA (1960) Orient Line London

Statistics: Built by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow 41,915 GRT 804 x 97 feet Twin screw, parsons geared turbines 30 knots 638 1st, 1,496 tourist class passengers; crew 903 She was launched November 3, 1959 and began her maiden voyage Southampton-Sydney December 3 1960, then via Auckland and US West Coast ports and back to Southampton.

She was the fastest liner on the England-Australia route sailing from Southampton to Sydney via the Suez Canal in 21 days. In 1966 the name of the line was restyled to P & O Line.

A Cabin

After 1973 cruising only as Australia-based cruise ship, before being sold out of the fleet. She was sold to Japanese interests in 1986 for use as an hotel, museum and restaurant ship. Moored at Beppu Bay in Japan, her funnels were painted pink.

The Hotel venture failed and in 1995 she was sold to Chinese interests and towed to Chinwangtao, China where she served as Government owned accommodation center and hotel.

The liner was purchased for $6 million in November 1998 from Qinhuangdao in North China's Hebei Province. Under tow again, ORIANA arrived in Shanghai October 1998, and was refitted in ZingHua Harbor as a floating tourist attraction funded by Hangzhou West Lake International Tourism Culture Development Co Ltd., after a $3.5 million renovation, ORIANA opened to the public in Pudong buisiness district of Shanghai, February of 1999. Hangzhou West Lake International (which holds a 85 per cent stake in the liner), the largest shareholder announced on August 15, 2000 that it would auction its stake in the ship. The remaining 15 per cent stake is held by Hangzhou Jiebai Group Co Ltd, a major department store operator.

During its 18-months of operation and despite more than 500,000 visitors, the attraction has not shown expected profits. The auction took place September 28, 2000. Since that time the ship is undergoing a refit while remaining moored in Shanghai.

As she was at her end ( photo by Peter Knego)

For further details on this liner visit:

http://www.greatoceanliners.net/oriana.html


The Ships Page | Arcadia | the Lind Pages | email the Linds